These aren’t really in any particular order, although Royals is pretty much the number one song of the year for both of us!
1) Royals by Lorde
2) Demons by Imagine Dragons (Imagine Dragons is my favourite band of the moment! – C)
3) Ho Hey by The Lumineers (I belong with you, you belong with me…)
4) Just Give Me a Reason by Pink with Nate Ruess
5) Story of my Life by One Direction (you have no idea how much it surprises us to include One Direction in this list but we just had to face it – this is a darn good song!)
6) Wake Me Up by Avicii (pretty sure Mr. Anderson would agree with this choice too!)
7) Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men
8) I Love It by Icona Pop – ok so there’s no inspirational lyrics here or anything but this is catchy and makes us want to dance!
9) True Love by Pink with Lily Allen (Cyn first discovered this song and came home telling Sam and Mr. Anderson that they HAD to listen to it because it completely summed up their relationship. Seriously, it’s SO them!)
10) I Will Wait by Mumford and Sons
11) Cups by Anna Kendrick (Sam says she’s going to learn this song – complete with the cups action. Can’t wait to see that! – C)
12) Home by Phillip Phillips
13) Safe and Sound by Capital Cities
“Bonus” Song: Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus. Ok, ok so neither of us are Miley fans but honestly, we really like the song itself. We just prefer covers of it, which is why we’re featuring the one from Glee.
SPECIAL MENTION goes out to: What Does the Fox Say by Ylvis – yeah we know, it’s a crazy kooky song but you have to admit, it’s dang catchy and gets stuck in your head. And just try dancing around your house to it….it’s pretty fun! And really, what would a list of songs from 2013 be without it?
We have very similar tastes in music most of the time and so it’s often pretty easy to come up with playlists we both like but there were a few exceptions:
I would have added Brave by Sara Bareilles – it sounds corny but this song just speaks to me! I always pick a song at the end of each year as sort of my theme song and this is definitely it – C
I just recently became aware of this song but I’m already in love with it. I definitely would have included it in the list: Let Her Go by Passenger but apparently it actually came out in 2012 (even though it’s only been in the past couple weeks that I’ve been hearing it on the radio) – C
I would also have to give a shout out to Trouble by Taylor Swift. I know, I know, it technically came out at the end of 2012 but it was played a lot in 2013 and really, you just haven’t lived until you’ve seen the “special” dance that Sam and Mr. Anderson do to this song. – C
And I would have included these songs that Mom isn’t really a fan of – Come and Get It by Selena Gomez – S
and I Want Crazy by Hunter Hayes – S
Mr. Anderson, of course, has to add more country, starting with Sunny and 75 by Joe Nichols. I thoroughly enjoy this song while driving in the Canadian cold because, for a brief moment, it doesn’t feel so cold.
And of course there has to be some Florida Georgia Line, but instead of Cruise he wanted to include Stay.
Honourable mentions go out to these songs which missed out on making the cut by “this much”:
Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
Clarity by Zedd, featuring Foxes
My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark by Fallout Boy
Counting Stars by Onerepublic
Daylight by Maroon 5
Don’t You Worry Child by Swedish House Mafia featuring John Martin
Sail by AWOLNATION
What about you? What would make your list of favourite songs from 2013?